More than 250 Open University (OU) staff, students, funders and partners came together in London last night (22 September 2022) to celebrate OU research.
The OU Research Excellence Awards recognised the wide range of ways research undertaken at the OU makes a positive difference to the economy, the environment, and society.
During a glittering evening at the De Vere Grand Connaught Rooms in Covent Garden, The OU presented awards spanning 12 categories:
Outstanding Research Project
- The AstrobiologyOU Research Team
- Professor Satheesh Krishnamurthy
Environmental Sustainability Award
- The Citizen Science and Artificial Intelligence Research Group
- The Social and Sustainable Enterprise Research Cluster
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Award
Best External Collaboration and Knowledge Exchange
- Professor Jean Hartley and the Centre for Policing Research and Learning
Outstanding Impact on Research on Society and Prosperity
- The Empowering Design Practices Research Team
- Professor Annika Mombauer
For the impact of research into the diplomatic and military origins of the First World War.
- Professor Sarah Earle and Dr Maddie Blackburn
For their research on sex, intimacy and relationships involving young people with life-limiting and life-threatening conditions.
Outstanding Impact on Research on Teaching, Curriculum and Students
- The Gas Cell Project team
- Dr Siobhan Campbell and Dr Sally Blackburn-Daniels
- Dr Amber Fensham-Smith
For leading The Open University’s support for home learning during lockdown.
- Professor Harith Alani and team
For research into COVID-19 related behavioural dynamics, misinformation spread and supply chain disruption.
Early Career Researcher
- Dr Lee Curley
- Dr Kaustubh Adhikari
Best Research Support Team
- Dr Joanna Bhatti and Michelle Stevens
- The AstrobiologyOU Support Hub
PGR Student Award
- Lesley Boyd
- Pallavi Joshi
- Dr Ayomide Oluseye
- Scott Michael Steele
- Lois Damptey
- Dr Hannah Sargeant
Outstanding Supervisor Award
- Dr Philippa Waterhouse and Dr Hugh Dickinson
Best Technician/Technical Team of the year
- Dr Michael Batham and team